SERVING THE COMMUNITY
THE LITERACY COMMITTEE
Grants provided in recent years include:
• The Cobourg Public Library for new audiobooks and to Falconhurst for books for the library.
• St. Joseph’s Catholic Elementary School to increase their annual $3.00 per child budget for books and to replace very old ones.
• The Green Wood Coalition has been assisted twice financially, with prizes for writing competitions such as 2019’s “The Write Stuff” and for student scholarships.
• Pop Up Libraries instituted with the Cobourg Library and the Blue Box. Located at Northumberland Mall, The Market, The Cobourg Police Building, the Dog Park, another on Lakeshore south, east of Coverdale and, during the summer, on the boardwalk at the beach. The Pop Ups provide free books for the public with the understanding of “take a book, return a book”. The Literacy Committee maintains the boxes keeping them stocked and clean and a volunteer does any necessary repairs.
The Literacy Committee is always open to suggestions on how we, as Rotarians, can raise awareness of the need for literacy not only in our own community but wherever there is a need. Please contact the Literacy Committee.
THE PROJECTS AND COMMUNITY EVENTS COMMITTEE
Here is what we did in 2018/19:
• Habitat for Humanity $20,000 to support their University Avenue build to provide affordable housing for 4 families.
• Cramahe Public Library $5,000 to support equipment purchases for the library, conditional upon receiving three vendor quotes for all the equipment specified
• The Learning Connection of $2,000 to sponsor their series on Newfoundland and Labrador.
• The Help Centre $5,000 to support the organizations English as a Second Language program
• The Giving Tree $1,000 to support youngsters over the age of 12 at Christmas time
• Rebound Child and Youth Services $6,900 to aid with furnishings to support their expansion and new program
Application for Funding
All applicants are encouraged to thoroughly read the Funding Application Form prior to completing it. In some cases, a secondary request for information may be made by the Rotary Club Committee assigned to oversee your request.